"Advocating for the ICPD PoA and the MDGs: a rights based approach"
2nd SGF Workshop, in co-operation with IPPF EN, and supported by WPF, DSW and MSI
15-17 July 2008
The 3 days workshop within the framework of the EuroNGOs Small Grants Facility Project (SGF) took place on 15-17 July 2008, in Budapest, Hungary.
The workshop attracted 22 participants from nine countries, representatives of 14 EuroNGOs member organizations. The training was conducted and facilitated by advocacy experts from IPPF-EN, the German Population for World Population (DSW), the World Population Foundation (WPF) and Marie Stopes International (MSI).
The workshop was primarily focused on advocating for the implementation of the Programme of Action (PoA) of the International Conference for Population and Development (ICPD) and stronger action on health related Millennium Development Goals (MDGs). The main objectives of the workshop were:
• To expand knowledge of participating EuroNGOs members about existing international commitments undertaken by their governments in the area of SRHR
• To highlight the link between SRHR, human rights and the MDG framework
• To provide hands on training for development of rights based approach towards advocacy on SRHR in developing countries, including transfer of practical advocacy tools and techniques
• To explore opportunities for more effective engagement of national governments on SRHR in development and joint action of EuroNGOs member organizations at the EU level
• To create synergies between participants through an exchange of experience and views and provide a networking opportunity for members with the goal to reinforce the united voice of civil society advocating for SRHR
In lively discussion and in a mainly inter-active format, participants were aquainted with the following backgrounds and tools, which were then further explored and discussed:
• Existing key international development agreements with links to the SRHR as a point of reference for advocacy work (ICPD PoA, Maputo Plan of Action, Alma-Ata Declaration, MDGs, UN Convention on the Rights of the Child, etc.).
• The concept of rights based approach in SRHR, as stipulated in the IPPF SRHR Charter.
• The concept of advocacy as a tool for policy change and providing practical tools for integration of rights based approach into advocacy work of EuroNGOs members
• The use of newly acquired advocacy tools and instruments through interactive case studies and role play
• The EU institutions and their current development strategy and commitments, as well as the links with and implications for the SRHR advocacy work at national level
• Working with EU institution and the current political climate regarding SRHR in development cooperation in the respective countries
• Aid effectiveness and ways of influencing it from national to EU levels, including the importance of consolidating efforts with other CSOs and developing a common message to ensure accountability of governments and donors
• Strategizing on ICPD+15, country strategy papers and the EP elections
Supported by the European Commission, the David and Lucile Packard Foundation and others.
- Photographs of the training can be downloaded here
- Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights, Soizick Martin, IPPF EN, Brussels
- ICPD and MDGs as International Human Rights Advocacy Tools, Rose Koenders, WPF, Netherlands
- Summary Advocacy Concept, Soizick Martin, IPPF EN, Brussels
- Developing an Advocacy Plan, Soizick Martin, IPPF EN, Brussels
- Developing M&E for Advocacy, Soizick Martin, IPPF EN, Brussels
- The European Institutions, Mascha Matthews, DSW, Brussels
- Aid Effectiveness - An Advocacy Case Study, Gauri Van Gulik, MSI, Brussels